We know the sun is vital for all life force! Too much sun however can be harmful, so it is important to be safe by choosing the best sunscreen.
Here is the problem: Some of the sunscreens that are supposed to protect you from the sun actually end up causing you harm. Out of 880 sunscreens tested from the Environmental Working Group (EWG), only 239 passed the test.
This means that almost 75% of sunscreens were not effective in protecting you from the sun and they contained toxic ingredients.
There are a couple of things you should look for when choosing the best product.
Which SPF Should I choose?
- SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays.
- SPF 30 blocks 97%
- SPF 50 blocks 98%
-Do not let higher SPF labels convince you that you will not get burned if you stay out in the sun for a long time. I personally would say that you don’t need an SPF higher than 30, and remember to reapply it various times for it to be effective.
UVB and UVA Rays
UVA rays can cause skin cancer and aging, while UVB rays are what causes the skin to burn in the sun. Some ingredients only protect your skin from one type of UV rays. Always choose a sunscreen that are labeled broad-spectrum to make sure you are getting coverage for both UV rays.
This is an ingredient found in some sunscreens that can mess with the hormone system. A solution is to go for products that instead contain Mexoryl SX, zinc oxide, or 3 percent avobenzone.
Also skip the Vitamin A
Vitamin A, Also known as the ingredient retinol or retinyl palmitate might sound harmless, but has been linked to the faster development of tumors on the skin according to research from the government. When choosing the best sunscreen check the label, and do not purchase any with retinol or vitamin A.
10 Safe types of Sunscreen to Try Today
- Kiss My Face Organics Kids Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Nature's Gate Aqua Vegan Sunscreen
- True Natural Active 30 Antioxidant Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Green Screen Organic Sunscreen
- Kabana Organic Skincare Green Screen Sunscreen
- Tom's of Maine Baby Sunscreen Lotion
- Waxhead Sun Defense Zinc Oxide Vitamin D Enhanced Sunscreen
- Alba Botanica Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen
- Adorable Baby Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sunscreen Lotion
Source: Mychelle and the Skin Cancer Foundation, New England Journal of Medicine, Annals of Internal Medicine, and the American cancer Society.